Location Sound Prep 2

Wednesday 9th November 

Set Etiquette Research 

Again, as the shoot is nearing I honed up my skills on set etiquette, as this is included within my location sound learning outcomes. I set out to achieve extra information on how to behave on set and work with a film crew.

I learned many things while reading this resource. Mainly, it has highlighted to me that while sound is as equal to picture, you will never be treated that way. All of the focus is on camera, e.g. out of 40 crew members only 2/3 are dedicated to sound – the rest the picture. Viers illustrates the importance of having a good attitude and not being a “know-it-all mixer”, as well as being punctual, prepared, a team player, being safe (incredibly important), being dressed appropriately, and working with others. That is, understand that directors, DPs and actors are all likely to have some sort of ego, it’s the role they are in. It’s their vision so they are important, supposedly. This means personal skills, the ability to bite your lip, get on with it, get paid and move on is extra important.
This has addressed great skills to acquire, but so far working with the film crew, there has been no issue with egos, communication or not being prepared or willing to work in the team, which is a healthy positive.

I have also learned to know my place onset. Unfortunately Sound Mixers and Boom Ops are treated as secondary, and the director has the final say. Directors, DPs, lighting crew, etc. are not worried about the job I will be doing, but trusting that it has been done correctly. “Understand that nobody compliments the sound in a production when it is good. They only complain about the sound when it is bad. Get used to it. It’s a thankless job”. Personal skills are also very important. Being easy to get on with, good with communication and being willing to be a team player are as, if not more, important than being an “audio-genius”. Viers suggests a know-it-all with a bad, strict attitude will not be hired compared to someone who knows less, but is easy to get on with, friendly, knows their place and their role and gets on with the job.

Aims

In conclusion, I am aiming to use and improve these skills on set. To know my place and while offer my opinion to the director, understand it is their vision and they have the final say. I will be willing to help wherever I can as part of the team, and I will be prepared to expect the unexpected, and be adaptive to any changes or challenges we may face. I will assess my set etiquette and behaviour onset after the shoot via a feedback form filled in by the crew.

Reference List

Viers, R. (2012) The Location Sound Bible. California: Michael Wiese Productions.

Published by